- Founding Chair of the Biomedical Image & Signal Analytics (BISA) Special Attention Team (SAT) of the European Association for Signal Processing (EURASIP) (2016-)
- Vice-Chair/Chair/Past-Chair of the Biomedical Imaging and Signal Processing (BISP) Technical Committee of the IEEE Signal Processing Society (2011-2014)
- Member of the Steering Committee of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI).
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue on Brain Decoding for Elsevier Pattern Recognition.
- Editor and Webmaster of The Wavelet Digest , a non-commercial electronic newsletter for the wavelet community with more than 23000 subscribers.
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (2006-2009).
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2004-2006).
- Guest Editor of the the IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals, Special Section for Signal Processing (January 2009).
- General co-chair of the International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in NeuroImaging (May 2011), Seoul, South Korea (with Seong-Whan Lee, Korea University; and Christos Davatzikos, UPenn).
- General co-chair of the BIRS Workshop on Sampling and Reconstruction: Applications and Advances (November 2010), Banff, Canada (with Alireza Entezari, UFL; and Torsten Moeller, SFU).
- General co-chair of the workshop "Brain decoding: pattern recognition challenges in fMRI neuroimaging" in conjunction with the 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR'10), Istanbul, Turkey (August 2010)
- General co-chair of the biennial Wavelets Series Conference (Wavelets XII, August 2007; Wavelets XIII, August 2009; Wavelets XIV, August 2011), San Diego CA (with Vivek Goyal, MIT; and Manos Papadakis, UHouston).
- General co-chair of the Wavelets and Applications semester with Michael Unser and Martin Vetterli, which was supported by the Bernoulli Center of the EPFL; international conference (WaVE2006) held at the EPFL from 10 to 14 July, 2006.